Labuan, Malaysia, Borneo


January 22
We woke up early and checked out. To give you a sense of how wealthy our hotel is, our bellhop guy told us that he was going to take a weekend trip to Kuala Lumpur next weekend. We got in a taxi that was thirty minutes late and the driver took us to the ferry station. We bought a ticket to Labuan, Malaysia, where we would then have to buy another ticket to Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia. We took the ferry for about an hour to Labuan. It wasn’t too bad. Once in Labuan, we bought our next ticket and then went to eat. We had some tea, chicken, and rice. The next ferry ride was the ride from hell. The waves were pretty high, and our boat wasn’t that big. It was also very circular and rocked a lot. The entire two and a half hour journey was filled with women crying and screaming when we rocked a lot. Every single person in the boat threw up multiple times except for us. There were workers who had the job of walking the isles and handing out bags. It was a mess of a ride. Me, on the other hand, I enjoyed the movie “Fist of Legend” which was about an older man who entered a game show to box and ended up doing pretty well. Then he stuck it to the man at the end. It was pretty solid. Then, I watched “The Freak” which was a Kung fu movie about a guy who needed to find a remote village to learn internal Kung fu before his external skills got him killed. I was pissed that I didn’t get to see the end. I want to know what happens! We arrived in Kota Kinabalu and walked to our hostel. It was difficult to find but we got there. We then walked to get some dumplings, then wandered the streets to see the city. It wasn’t very big and didn’t have much going on. We chilled at a bar by our hostel and listened to some live music for a little bit before calling it a night. Out hostel wasn’t that good. The girl who worked it couldn’t be more angry at everyone and hate her job any more. It was bad. We got upgraded to a four person loft but had the whole thing to ourselves so that was pretty cool. Long day of traveling and tomorrow, we catch a bus to Mount Kinabalu early in the morning.

mikepsilve'sLabaun album on Photobucket